Old January 16th 05, 07:49 PM

Default Relief Effort H-60 Crash

The MH-60Ss involved are from HC-11. There are SH-60Fs and HH-60Hs
from HS-2 on the Kennedy, and SH-60Bs from HSL-47 also operating from
the Kennedy (presumably they would normally be based on the escorts).

Not exactly true - when I read the "Forward... from the sea..."
vision, I felt the Navy is going to put more helicopters aboard
carriers when S-3B Vikings are retired. And such scenario probably
happens now.

A detachment from HSL-47 deploys with CVW-2 not for the first time
(already deployed aboard Constellation, too), and now a det. from
HSL-51 was also integrated into CVW-5. So it seems putting more SH-60B
Seahawks aboard carriers might be a common practice in future.

What is surprising me is the number - the news say about 15 or 17
Seahawks operating from Lincoln. I guess the number belonging to the
carrier itself must be smaller - about 4-5 SH-60F, 2-3 HH-60H and 2-3
SH-60B - not more. The rest of the helos (I belive they are SH-60B and
MH-60S) may be assigned to smaller ships, but temporarily using
Lincoln as "bigger, more convenient kind of airport" and logistics
base.

I hope I guess right...
Best regards,

Jacek Zemlo