Old May 17th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default CV-17 Bunker Hill retirement?

Dave in San Diego wrote:
"Keith W" wrote in
:

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message
. 30...
"DDAY" wrote in
nk.net:

I was looking through Stefan Terzibaschitsch's book Aircraft Carriers
of the US Navy and I see that CV-17 Bunker Hill was withdrawn from
service in 1947 and essentially stayed in mothballs until 1966. She
was used as an immobile electronics research ship during that time.

Does anybody know why she was withdrawn from service in 1947?
See http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/...istories/cv17-
bunkerhill/cv17-bunkerhill.html for further info.

Google is your friend!

Dave in San Diego

Well OK but it really doesnt answer the question as to why she was
withdrawn and not modernized like most of the other Essex class
carriers.

An article on the global security website claims that along with the
Franklin
she was excluded from other modernization programs to be available for
the "ultimate"
conversion to operate with the supercarrier United States.

Following the cancellation of the United States, they were eventually
broken up unmodified.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../ship/cv-9.htm

Well, I read the article, and came to this conclusion - money, and needs of
the Navy, which, in many cases, are the driving forces for change or the
the lack thereof.

I arrived at that hypothesis without reading the article