Old May 17th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default CV-17 Bunker Hill retirement?

On Wed, 17 May 2006 17:16:41 GMT, Dave in San Diego
wrote:

Well, I read the article, and came to this conclusion - money, and needs of
the Navy, which, in many cases, are the driving forces for change or the
the lack thereof.

Intersting article, but incomplete. INTREPID (CV/CVS-11) is not
mentioned at all (except as a museum). I know she had a variety of
the -27C conversion ('cause I flew off her with VS-27 from '70-'72).

IIRC, budgets drive fleet size. (In theory needs should drive
budgets, but that's not always how it works.) If a fleet downsizing
is required, cadidates are identified and surveys are done to
determine which vessels are in the best material condition. List is
made in order of condition. Cutting begins at the bottom.

Again, pure rationality might not drive a program but it's more likely
than not.

Bill Kambic
Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão