Old April 29th 04, 06:02 PM
Laurence Doering

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:52:59 +0100, Jim Doyle wrote:

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
The German Lofte 7 bombsight was developed by people
who had access to the data from Norden and while
not a copy of the Norden design its likely they
learned a lot from it.

http://www.luftarchiv.info/bordgerate/optisch.htm

Not being able to read German - could someone please explain the principal
workings of the gunsight in the first diagram? (The two concentric circles
and cross as rear sight, with vane-looking gizmo as foresight - attached to
the MG15).

The caption for the illustrations doesn't say anything about how the sight
is supposed to work. My translation of the caption is:

Left: Example sight picture for the flexible-mount aircraft machine
gun with wind vane bead and ring sight. Right: Flexible-mount MG15
with wind vane bead and ring sight.

The caption above the illustrations just says "Sighting devices for
on-board weapons."

I dunno -- I guess the front bead is supposed to move around the
pivot attached to the gun barrel according to the relative wind.
Maybe it's supposed to help the gunner compensate for windage when
shooting to either side? I assume the whole assembly would be aligned
with the gun barrel when aiming directly forward or aft.

ljd