Old December 5th 05, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Basic Training Gliders

Derek
Try adjusting the sitting position to suit you before you fly in the thing.
Most instructors tend to hop and fly without getting things right. The
number of times I have people whinging about the **** poor this and the crap
that and I find that they havn't even noticed something is adjustable to
alleviate that issue.
The rear seat of the 1000 is adjustable up and down. I am 6'4 and have no
trouble sitting too low in the back of our 1000 if I don't raise the seat.
In fact the first time I flew it from the rear I assumed I would need the
seat bottomed out. Big mistake! I couldn't see and could only just reach the
rudder pedals. I felt like I was in a pit. Next flight adjusted the seat
till my head just cleared the canopy and things where totally different. Far
better vis

Anyways, I don't believe there ever will be the perfect trainer. Too many
opinions and not enough manufacturers to ever sort this issue out. Its all a
compromise.

But hows this for a spec. ( Feel free to add )
1.Benign enough that a student could learn to fly it and not get into
trouble after only 10 flights but with the flick off a switch becomes the
spin trainer from Hell.

2.Heavy enough to penetrate upwind into 30knts to the next wave band and
light enough to be rigged single-handed by a little old lady.

3.Low enough to the ground to allow entry by height challenged ATC cadets
but with a enough ground clearance and U/C travel to permit 15 ft flares
with associated stall and arrivals without spinal readjustment.

I actually did an instructional flight in the back
seat of a DG1000 today, and was reminded how poor the
forward visibility from the rear cockpit is. You have
to peer though a small semi-circular gap between the
canopy hoop, the front headrest and the student's head.
The forward view is far worse than in a K13 with its
one piece canopy, and not helped by the fact that you
sit fairly low down in the cockpit. I think that I
will make a point of only flying this type with well
switched on students who keep a good look out!

I suppose that it's a case of what is the greater risk.
Whiplash in the event of a crash or heavy landing,
or a head on mid-air collision with another aircraft
because you can't see ahead?

BTW I don't dislike the DG1000. It handles and performs
beautifully, it has good airbrakes (unlike the Duo
Discus), it is fully aerobatic in 18 metre mode (unlike
the Duo) and you can operate the undercarriage from
both cockpits (unlike the Duo).

BUT, I don't like the restricted view from the rear
cockpit, the difficult and heavy ground handling, getting
in and out of the thing, and the trigger type trimmer
mounted on the stick that doesn't seem to work. You
end up trimming with the trimmer tell-tale knob on
the side of the cockpit wall, so why bother with the
trigger in the first place?

Good try for the ideal trainer DG, but no cigar yet!

Derek Copeland

P.S. The r.a.s. black hole seems to re-appeared. this
is my third attempt at posting this!