Old March 8th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

Default motorgliders as towplanes

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 12:28:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I remember reading about a Pipistrel Sinus motorglider towing an LS8
to 2400 feet AGL in 6 minutes in Italy.............
I assume that a lighter gliders should climb even better!
There is also a video on Youtube showing a Lambada motorglider
towing a double seater metal glider.
The Sinus with an 80 HP Rotax
The Lambada with a 100 HP Rotax
Motorgliders will tow into the future!!!!!
Maybe at 3 gallons an hour car fuel.

Once airborne a 100hp tow plane (motorglider, ultralight) climbs well,
even with a heavy double seater in tow.

The limiting factor is initial acceleration - high density altitudes
and muddy gound might prevent a safe tow.
In my opinion a paved runway is necessary if you want safe tows even
at high density altitudes.