Old November 9th 05, 05:38 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Oil weight question and cold weather

Question: Can a dipstick heater be used safely on an aircraft engine?
Does
it help much? See eBay item 8006970279.

I cannot imagine how a dipstick heater alone could adequately heat all the
oil that settled at the bottom or that in the cylinders, especially if the
air is very, very cold (0 degrees F or lower).

I agree with Peter. When it gets cold in our neck of the woods (more so in
Minnesota, where you are), a dipstick heater would heat the oil for maybe a
couple of inches around the dipstick.

The rest of the oil would still be like jello.

Get a Tanis heater. They're really cheap -- compared to a new engine.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA