Old May 11th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan G

Default Barograph Blues

It's not just mechanical barographs...

Me going for Silver height shortly after soloing - put in club's Model
D, made sure little light is flashing, fly. Download trace in evening
- corrupt. Club computer "whiz" had tried to upgrade ("flash"?) the
internal software but had ballsed it up and not told anyone. The
club's other Model D had a sticker on the side saying "broken" - when
we tested it, it worked fine. Harrumph.

Shortly after, on another flight, the battery ran out. I realised
there was no system for ensuring that the logger had a good battery in
it, so fitted a new (dated) Duracell battery and simply put a sticker
on the side noting the date. Next week... sticker has been scratched
off and a cheap supermarket battery of unknown age inserted. Great.

I now know to check the barograph on the computer *before* flight (it
gives the battery voltage, among other things).

Dan