Old February 28th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default should I buy a new parachute?

Unfortunately for me, Pioneer is out of business. When my Thin Pack was
40 years old it came back from inspection with the note, "Excellent
Contition". Now that it's 43 years old, my current rigger agreed to
have a look but declined to give it his seal. Since I want a 'chute for
my wife to wear in the Stemme (picking it up this week!!!), I guess I'll
need to find an alternative.

(Let the wife jokes begin now, but I really want to keep her!)

Dan

On 2/27/2016 9:13 PM, Anders wrote:
My Strong parachute is now 30 years old, and each time I get it
repacked I point this out to the packer, and ask if the packer has any
reservations about it. So far, none has. My original parachute manual
has no mention of any life limit, although I believe the Strong
company now recommends 15 years. I also understand that there is
no FAA limit on parachute life.

The last packer said 'its like new'.

Should I buy a new parachute?

--