Old April 24th 05, 10:57 AM
Martin Hotze

On 23 Apr 2005 19:02:54 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

(...)
(without hyphens): "ping 82.150.192.1" - enter. now you see your

(...)

Average time: 194 milliseconds.

ah. OK. depends on time and network usage.

(...)
the Atlantic ocean. :-) .. but you can try "ping

www.alexisparkinn.com" -

(...)
Average time: 154 milliseconds. It only took 40 milliseconds more to
go to Austria, versus pinging Jav Henderson's server in Southern
California.

hmm, then I assume a bad time of day or a network congestion on your side
or at the server's side (I doubt the latter).

This is not typical that it takes almost the same time. (FYI: you have a
minimum of 80ms to cross the Atlantic; SLAs in the US are typiclly below
50ms RTT within the continental USA, but add 20 to 40 ms from your PC to
the core system of your ISP, another 10 ms from the other core system to
the target. So, typically you should be below 100ms within the continental
USA)

Amazing stuff, this internet.

go to http://www.traceroute.org/ - there you can pick hosts all over the
world and check the way and speed of those IP packets.

you can also traceroute from your PC: open again this black box, type
"tracert www.alexisparkinn", then you will see all hops an IP packet makes
to reach the target. But keep in mind that the way through the net might
change in the next minute [that's how the net works, better, how it is able
to survuve]).

#m
--
http://www.hotze.priv.at/album/aviation/caution.jpg