Old August 3rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Coaxial generator development

"RST Engineering" wrote

I'm just wondering if anybody has used either this scrap dump air to run a
wind driven generator, or whether any one of a number of ways of
generating electricity from heat has been attempted to convert waste
exhaust gas into excited little electrons? SOrt of a turbogenerator, if
you will.

Only problem I can see is that cooling runs on pressure differential, (as
you know) between the intake, and outlet.

Dam up the damn outlet, and it could have a drastic effect on the amount of
cooling air passing over the engine. People go to drastic measures to get
that outlet pressure low, like adding lips, ect, so I would not want to go
the other way with restricting the flow.

I would think that you would have to dam it up pretty good to get the 3-5 HP
you would probably need for a generator.

On the other hand, if you put a turbocharger hot section on the pipes, and
used that to drive a generator....?

Noah. Too big of a gear box would be needed to turn the high RPM of the
turbo down to prop RPM's for the generator.
--
Jim in NC