Old February 22nd 04, 02:44 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 04:20:49 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was

We already have a replacement for the F-14 in service - the F/A-18E/F.
The switch-over is well underway already.

Since the F/A-18E/F is brand new, it won't need replacement for a long
time yet.

not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.

30x2000 pound bombs? Twice the payload of the B-2....very impressive.

Why not upgrade it then?

Because you can't just "upgrade" the aircraft to be carrier capable.
This was studied a long time ago. The "upgrade" would be a complete
redesign of the aircraft, which would be very expensive and time
consuming, and entirely unnecessary.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,