Old September 16th 14, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Wawrzyniak

Default Tow Distribution and Quantity to obtain Private Glider

On Monday, September 15, 2014 8:40:20 AM UTC-4, Jamie Shore wrote:
Let me start by saying that I understand that the answer to my question will include a large range depending on many variables. I am not looking for these variables but I am looking for the range.

MY QUESTION

Does a club or organization keep statistics on the tow distribution (different altitudes) and quantities of each tow altitude it takes to get the private glider (in the US) if the student is ab initio (starting from no aviation experience)?

I have guesses and anecdotes from glider pilots from all sectors of the gliding community so I'm not looking for things like "...about x many..." I would really like to get real data from real students or organizations that are willing to share.

If you are an individual that has recently taken their checkride, I would like to hear your numbers as well if you are willing to share.

Example (only an example, not presented as the a good answer)

20 tows to 1,000 feet AGL

25 tows to 2,000 feet AGL

35 tows to 3,000 feet AGL

1 tow to 4,000 feet AGL

MY GOAL

Develop a cost estimate RANGE for obtaining a private pilot glider for an ab initio student. Link to a rough draft of a very preliminary ESTIMATE, mereley a starting point: http://goo.gl/NlBYmH Based on the limited data that I have collected so far, the average is likely going to be higher.

Thanks,

Jamie Shore

Soaring Club of Houston

Here was my breakdown, both pre-solo and post-solo. Checkride passed back in July:

Pre-solo (for the record I was 24 when I soloed, the ol' age = flights to solo held true for me):
11- 3k
2 - 2k
11 - 1k

Post-solo (these flights occurred prior to checkride)
11 - 3k
8 - 2k
5 - 1k

Note that this does not include rides with an instructor to maintain solo-proficiency (or currency).