Old September 16th 14, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JB Wawrzyniak

Default Tow Distribution and Quantity to obtain Private Glider

On 2014-09-16 03:46:29 +0000, JB Wawrzyniak said:

Pre-solo (for the record I was 24 when I soloed, the ol' age = flights

to solo held true for me):

11- 3k

2 - 2k

11 - 1k

Gosh, I must have been terrible! I soloed on my 31st flight, at age 22.

In my defense, I guess, there were a few long soaring flights in there

on days unsuitable for a student to practice landing (or possibly

takeoff and tow) due to 20+ knot gusting wind/crosswind etc.

But it probably depends on glider type. I was in a Blanik. You may be

talking about 2-33.

These days we are teaching in DG1000 (and Grob Twin Astir before that,

since 1994). Students definitely take a little longer to solo. Maybe

25-30 flights even for 15 yr olds, and 35 - 40 flights for graduates to

30 or so.

But they take a LOT FEWER flights to go from nothing to flying solo in

high performance glass than you would by starting off in a Blanik.

EVERY flight is in high performence glass.

All Blanik L-23, our club has a Grob but I've never enjoyed flying it as much as the club Blanik or my Ka6