Old October 27th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Huthmaker

Default What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

There is some weird speculation on this battery deal. So far it doesnt seem like anyone has actually opened the case to look. Sure it could be welded in. Or it could have some little clip that takes a handful of seconds to unplug. If its 50% the cost of the device to replace the battery, I would risk it and crack the device open. Because if I broke the device, I would chock it up to replacing legacy technology with something brand new. Maybe I'm just less risk averse because I've been building computers for 30 years, and have never shied away from cracking the case on something.