Old July 15th 20, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default INSURANCE, WHAT CAN WE EXPECT

Recent tragedies will certainly bring insurance rates and coverage into the spotlight once again. IMHO things will change not only in cost but coverage as well. Underwriters cannot continue to pay out high amounts for such a small population of their overall policies. I foresee changes coming to the glider community in terms the total value that certain ships can be covered for hull coverage and possibly the terms of use that will determine what to expect from a certain type event.
Major payouts continue that force the underwriter to raise coverage cost across the board, gliders and towplanes included. I can see coverage changing for the future that may include activity stipulations and certain limits being placed on glider types and values. Risk factors will certainly come into the equation, possibly geographical stipulations.
A considerable number of tragic accidents are being perpetrated within the high experience segment of glider and tow pilots alike. As for the clubs and commercial operations, it is a cost that continues to increase.