Old May 27th 04, 05:35 AM
Nyal Williams

At 04:18 27 May 2004, Pete Russell wrote:
I have thought of putting some type of soap on my glider
when it may rain,
thinking it would help to level the water drops and
maintain the airfoil
shape. This may be the thing for the Pik 20 owners
and other airfoils that
suffer in the rain.

What other gliders are known to have this problem with
water or turbulent air? Seems I have heard that one
of the ASW series was similarly affected.

Pete

'Martin Hellman' wrote in message
. com...
Another possibility that I recently heard about that
might help
increase our L/D: It seems that marine mammals may
shed microscopic
amounts of their skin as the swim, disrupting the
normal boundary
layer turbulence. I guess a whale that uses Head &
Shoulders Shampoo
will not swim as fast as the others?

Anyone else hear of this theory? Or think I was being
ribbed? Or have
any thoughts on how it might be used in sailplane
wing designs?

Martin