Old February 1st 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Overstuffed panels

It will all be done with your smart phone before long. Someone is
working on bluetooth vario add bluetooth airspeed and you will be able
to get whatever you want a bunch of different ways.
On Jan 31, 6:15*pm, cfinn wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:44*pm, ASM wrote:

On Jan 31, 9:29*am, Bill D wrote:

This is in response to threads on FLARM and Mirasol displays which I
think relate in a general way.

If you back up 100 meters and think outside the box, we've been facing
restricted panel space for a long time. *FLARM is just the latest
gadget but it may be the proverbial "straw".

A solution has been found in the airplane community - glass cockpits.
Old "steam gauges" display information very inefficiently. *You just
don't need an 80mm dial to display altitude when a simple 5 digit
numeric display and/or tape can do it much better in a quarter the
space.

Imagine a panel-sized tablet computer with a Mirasol display running
glider-specific "glass cockpit" software. *Mount the tablet in a
hinged frame so it can be raised and pushed forward to reveal a few
standby "steam gauges" for use if the electronics go belly-up. *Since
the glass cockpit is merely software, it can be updated and tailored
to any pilots desires. Instead of new gadgets, you add new software
features. *The display can change with a push of a stick mounted
button to emphasize moving maps or whatever is important at the
moment. *Fortunately, the requisite "air-data" sensors are available
to feed the computer.

Of course, there will be strenuous objections but they'll be
essentially the same ones heard in the airplane community before glass
took over.

Amen to that. I would like to have an integrated EFIS display with
vario, speed, altimeter and a radio with transponder, etc. The
installation process would be simplified. Do you supposed that if
someone would approach Garmin would they create G500/600 Sailplane
Edition?

Jacek- Hide quoted text -

Actually, you can do most of that with one box. When I was looking for
an EFIS to install in my HP a few years ago, I looked at MGL Avionics
Enigma system. It the time, I had an HP18, and it wouldn't fit in the
fairly small panel the way I had it laid out. I decided on using a
Dynon D10A instead. It works fine, but doesn't have near the
capability of the Enigma. Here's a link:http://www.mglavionics.com/html/enigma.html.
A have a larger panel with the HP16, and wish I had purchased the
Enigma.

The system is fully customizable. There is a simple app that allows
you to create your own screens. They have a free PC simulator that you
can use to test them. I created several screens and really liked what
you could do. I had one screen for checklists. Another for normal
flight with a nice color moving map display, airspeed including TAS on
the left, Altimeter and VSI on the right, compass at the top. I set
them up as tape instruments, wih a digital readout at the top of the
tape. I created another page with the standard six pack instruments in
the left quadrant, an HSI including GPS nav with vertical navagation
in the upper right quadrant, and a moving map display on the lower
half.

If you have a motor, all it's readings (temp, RPM, pressure, etc) can
also be displayed. You can create a screen with all that information
displayed while the engine is on. When it's off, push a button to
change to another page without engine info, so you have a less
cluttered display. What I'm getting it, is you can make it do and look
like you want.

*It also allows you to control several different radios. It also will
display not only Flarm, but XRX, TCAS, and TIS traffic info.

The last thing is that MGL is willing to add requested features. It's
simply a software upgrade.

Charlie