Old May 4th 05, 07:45 AM
Greg Farris

I saw a club last year that had just suffered an accident (no injuries) in
one of their 172's. Apparently eager to impress their insurance company,
the chief pilot issued a new check-ride proceedure, which - on paper at
least - listed everything in the book and then some! I chuckled when I read
it. I mean, "recovery from heavy bounced landing" - I'm not sure how many
CFI's really want to go out there and do that. Then when it said "recovery
from stall on approach", well I guess they mean "simulated at altitude",
but I had a mental picture of a white-knuckled CFI forcing the prospective
renter to stall at 300 AGL on final and see if he can come out alive! If he
had thought of it, he probably would have listed "in-flight fire" as well -
go out to the training area and set the thing on fire to see of the renter
is sharp enough to get back alive!

The accident they had was a typical - too fast, high flare, nose-over
incident, which, as usual, damaged the plane but not the pilot. My guess is
the chief pilot is trying to stave off an insurance premium increase, but
the checkrides will continue as before. I agree with the one who posted "if
it take the CFI more than half an hour to determine your level of
competence, he is himself incompetent".

G Faris