Old July 18th 05, 05:27 AM
Pete Brown

You don't need a 337 to show a 150-150 is suitable for
towing, you need to comply with 91.309 (2) which reads in part:

Section 91.309: Towing: Gliders and unpowered ultralight
vehicles.

(2) The towing aircraft is equipped with a tow-hitch of a
kind, and installed in a manner, that is approved by the
Administrator;

FAA Advisory Circular AC 43.13-1B ACCEPTABLE
METHODS,TECHNIQUES, AND PRACTICES ¾ AIRCRAFT INSPECTION AND
REPAIR, has a section on tow hook installation that you
might want to review to assure yourself that his eminence,
the Administrator, will approve your installation.

IIRC, the Schweizer tow hook was approved for all tricycle
gear Cessna's as a bolt on installation. Contact Mary Backus
at Schweizer at 607-739-3821 x4247 or e-mail at
or for
details on that approval data. I have no idea if Tost has
been approved on such a Cessna.

I assume your 150-150, is now a tail wheel aircraft so that
originally approved installation may not work. As an
alternative, I will email you a photo of my Schweizer hook
on my 170. The hook is bolted on to the tail wheel spring in
a neat installation.

Whether the 150-150 is adequate for towing will depend,
amongst other things, on what you are towing (mostly how
heavy) and where (density altitude), cooling considerations
for your particular engine and cowl combination, and how
patient your waiting club members or customers are.

Pete Brown

1JH wrote:
Does anyone have a 337 they can share to demonstrate to the FAA that a
150-150 is suitable for towing gliders?

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/