Old March 2nd 04, 10:00 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: A BOMB PATTER IS LIKE A FOOTBALL
From: "Keith Willshaw"
Date: 3/1/04 11:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
A BOMB PATTERN IS LIKE A FOOTBALL: BOMB PATTERN ANALYSIS

One thing I never see in any WW II literature is bomb pattern analysis in
tactical bombing. There is a lot to it that we had to live with, and I

thought
I would share it with those on this NG before it gets lost to history.

Every RAF Bomber Command Aircraft was fitted with a
camera and photoflah to record individual bombing accuracy.

The pilot had to continue to fly straight and level AFTER
bomb release until the camera flashed. When Radar bombing was used
the camera recorded the image on the radar scope. If there was no picture
it didnt count as a mission.

Keith

Keith

The problem with the Brit system was that the target was still smoking when
the pictuere was taken so less information was recorded. But it saved them that
second recon flight If you check my website you will see impact shots taken
with the bombay camera recorded at the detonation moment. Now click on " Death
of a marshalling yard" to see the reults of the recon mission.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer