Old September 17th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Discus a price reduced

Frankly, I don't see what effect flight hours have on a glider. Soaring
places so little stress on an air frame that it's almost insignificant.Â*
Having said that, I know that buyers feel that a high time glider is
less valuable than a low time glider.

I knew of a low time LS-6 that, at the time I tried to purchase it, had
sat unused in its trailer for probably 10 years.Â* The owner wasn't
interested in selling.Â* Ten years later, I've still not heard of it
having been out of the box.Â* I wonder what opening the trailer now would
reveal.

And thinking about costs:Â* Here at Moriarty a Grob 103 or LS-4 rental is
(last time I checked) $50/hour plus tow cost.Â* So if I sell my Stemme
for $50,000 less than I paid for it after flying it for 1,000 hours, I
think I will have come out well ahead in the pleasure category.Â* And it
will still have less than 1,200 airframe hours and 3-400 engine hours.Â*
A great ship for someone wanting the capability.

On 9/16/2019 9:29 PM, Ramy wrote:
Indeed I fly too much and as such I factor in 20% loss or so in 10 years which is still not too bad, most folks who fly less get back very close to what they paid. Sometime more.

Ramy

--
Dan, 5J