Old September 17th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Discus a price reduced

As a potential buyer, this looks like a nice well cared for aircraft, and flying a Discus is appealing. The problem with almost all gliders offered in this price performance range is that the gel coat is only going to get worse.

Accept the degradation in performance and the gradual UV damage to the underlying fiber seems the most viable future for this glider. What about investing $25K in a proper restore and paint? With $53K invested I'd surely want to upgrade the avionics, another $5-7K. Then I'd have sunk $60K, plus the hassle and delay of getting the restoration completed.

If I wanted to invest $60K+ in a glider, I might stretch my budget to $70-80K and pick something much nicer that was ready to fly tommorrow.

Sell gliders like this for $8-10K and you'd have a lot more gliderless pilots buying gliders and making a bigger commitment to fly. Gliders moldering in trailers hurt the sport and ultimately lose the owners more money.