Old October 27th 20, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

I've been operating the microturbines for about 15 years (only up to the 90lb thrust class) and all those problems have been addressed for much more reliability. The EGT probe sheaths were switched to much higher temperature materials and were moved internal to avoid being deflected in any way that would fatigue the material to a point of breaking. The glow plugs were horrible and failed all the time. They used to be the ones used in RC nitro engines but are now ceramic and have proven to last way beyond multiple service intervals. The starter motors have transitioned from high friction brushed motors to virtually zero friction brushless. Same with the fuel pumps. I'm just addressing Darren's list but there are a lot of other improvements. The biggest issue I ever found consistently with starting the microturbines is variations in the atmospheric conditions that don't jive with the programmed start parameters which are set for a most likely "window" of conditions. But there are operator techniques to remedy even this scenario on the fly.

Obviously I'm biased toward the jets but always looking for the failure stories because it motivates me to figure out how the potential for those situations can be minimized.