Old May 2nd 12, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Retesting and filling oxygen tank.

On May 2, 6:44*am, lynn wrote:

Well, I was told by locals at our club,the place to go to in Dallas
was "Safetech". They are an FAA Repair station (No. SMER451X)
and do oxygen system repairs and servicing for all types of aircraft...

Keep in mind that the majority of aircraft that carry supplemental
oxygen systems are corporate and executive transports typically
costing a couple million dollars each. They are required to have
oxygen systems as backups as spelled out in 14CFR§23.1441 and nearby
sections.

Note that I am not saying that these are the only aircraft that carry
supplemental oxygen systems. Our gliders are an obvious exception, as
are many personal aircraft outfitted for high-altitude cruising. But
they are the majority.

Anyhow, most FAA Repair stations that routinely handle supplemental
oxygen systems specialize in the repair and maintenance of
multimillion-dollar aircraft for the corporate sector. They cross all
the Ts and dot all the Is that keep their corporate clients and their
attorneys happy, charge commensurately, and everybody is happy. That
works great for them. Not so much for us glider operators.

The most cost-effective way to service your oxygen system is to learn
to do it yourself. Even if you don't actually do it yourself, you have
the knowledge required to hire an A&P or similarly qualified
individual and tell them what needs to be done. But not how, A&Ps
don't always like being told how even when you're right.

A good place to start is learning the federal regulations that spell
out the requirements for the certification, maintenance, and repair of
light aircraft. Here are some good resources:

* Advisory Circular AC43.13 is the general repair bible. It is
advisory in nature, and does not spell out the rule of law. But it is
a great guide, and the practices it spells out are generally within
the rules. You can download AC43.13 from a variety of Internet
sources.

* To browse the federal regulations by part and section, you can use
this link from the FAA website:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...4/14tab_02.tpl

* To search the federal regulations using keywords, use the Search
link on the page above, and enter "14" for the Title. For gliders, the
pilot certification stuff is in Part 61, the operational stuff is in
Part 91, and the aircraft type certification stuff is in Part 23.
Maintenance and repair of type certificated aircraft is spelled out in
Part 43. There are other relevant Parts, of course, but those are the
big ones.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24...t/200931354951