Old March 21st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default gliders in movies

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"John H. Campbell" jhpc@greeleynet-dot-com wrote in message
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
WW-II Pow's in a castle in the mountians make a two place glider to
escape from an escape proof prison and fly to Switzerland.

Wasn't the real story of the 'Colditz Cock', the building of the replica,
and the reunion, a very recent documentary on public TV?

WOW! I had no idea there was anything real behind the movie!!!

http://www.colditz-4c.com/glider.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...237060,00.html

I read two books about Colditz as a kid in the early '60s and remember
being struck by the resemblance between the Slingsby Kirby Cadet MkIII
(aka as T31 in which I did my first 'real' solo after slides and hops in
a Grasshopper) and the picture in the Colditz book of the original
glider (never flown and destroyed by fire IIRC).

Does anyone know if there is a direct link between these two aircraft or
is the similarity just coincidence?

Robert