Old September 27th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Potential Club Class (US Sports Class) World Team SelectionPolicy Changes

On Sep 27, 11:37*am, Andy wrote:
On Sep 27, 7:53*am, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

On Sep 27, 9:26*am, wrote:

On Sep 25, 9:02*pm, RRK wrote:

1. * * Handicaps don't *ever work over the range of performance
* * * * that we allow in the Sports Class.
2. * * Sport class will never allow for AST's, most common task flown
Internationally.

rk

RE 2
You are not entirely correct in your statement. The MAT can be set
with enough fixed turnpoints to keep the high performance gliders or
the same course until Mintime runes out, while allowing the slower
gliders to drop off and come home when they time out. This does
exactly what is needed with a spread of glider performance. Everybody
flies the same air and everybody gets to come home for beer.
CD's and task advisers need to use this option more.
UH

Yes, Hank that works well and it should be used more, except on a
thermal/ridge day with limited number of turn points in the task. The
18 m gliders in the Sports Class fly the task and after that go on the
ridge for bonus turn points to get their speed up. The club class
pilot is lucky if he can make most of the turn points, but since he is
not able to fly them all he can not go for the bonus points to get his
points up. This situation can be a real problem.

On a ridge day I'd think it would be incumbent on the CD to call TPs
along the ridge so everyone get the option during the main task.

9B

All depends on the CD and weather forecast accuracy. If part of a task
can't be flown on a ridge and weather turns out to be worse than
predicted then you may have a situation where a Club Class glider will
not be able to round all the defined points but 18 m glider will. The
can happen. The point is you can handicap all you want you can create
very complex task setting rules but none of it may work to equalize
glider inequalities if you fly 3-5 days. Here in the east this year
has been terrible. We sometimes go weeks without reasonable weather.

I think a system is needed in the U.S. where everyone finds a decent
place to compete. Club class pilots should have their own class to
compete, and perhaps the best place to start with is Nationals since
this kind of start would have the list impact on Sports Class
participation at the regional level. We also need to be mindful of the
excellent service to the community and US Team that Karl and others
provide in Duos. We can't destroy that. I am sure the Club Class
pilots can organize another contest themselves.