Old September 7th 03, 01:57 AM
C.D. Damron

Juan,

Your lack of education in the field of journalism is obvious and embracing
the narrowist definition of journalism you could find in your $1.99
dictionary is not surprising.

I've taken a couple of classes in journalism and honestly think that you
might benefit from the experience, as well.

I certainly know the difference between an editorial and news story. I also
know the definition of journalism, as it is presented in the classroom,
embraced by those in the field, and detailed in finer unabridged
dictionaries.

American Heritage Dictionary

journalism - 1) the collecting, writing, editing, and presentation of news
in print or electronic media. 2) Written material of current or popular
interest.

It is not surprising that you would argue that editorials need not be
journalistically responsible, as they are not examples of journalism or
products of journalists. Editorials can be irresponsible. When journalists
recuse themselves of all journalistic integrity when writing an editorial,
it is especially irresponsible and unprofessional.

In modern journalism, a distinction is often made between editorials and
commentaries. Editorials suggest the opinion of the editorial staff or
editor, (a journalist), while commentaries suggest that the opinions are not
necessarily those of the publication and are often written by
non-journalists. This distinction is made, I believe, to underscore that
opinions expressed in editorials are the result of honest journalist
pursuits.

The editorial I cited was an example of bad journalism.

In your opinion... shrug

Yes, in my opinion is is an example of bad journalism.

ROFLMAO! HAHAHAHA! That's funny!!!! You obviously don't have the slightest
clue of the definition of yellow journalism. To suggest that ANN engaged

in
yellow journalism related to an activity attended by _hundreds of

thousands
of people_ is patently absurd and bordering on the prepubescent.

The fact that the event was attended by thousands, is of little consequence
to our discussion. ANN's "editorial" suggests that Adam Aircraft is "under
fire for safety practices and other concerns" without providing any details.
Likewise, ANN suggests that the appearance carried with it "WAY too many
risks", without detailing those risks.

Yellow journalism need not be limited to news stories.