Old June 28th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default holy smokes YouTube landing

On Jun 27, 11:02 pm, GM wrote:
On Jun 27, 10:20 pm, wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

Sports Class Nationals people - was this landing as frightening in
person as it is on tape? what was the wind doing then? looks like a
wild ride

Yes - gusting - yes, it was!

We (the Sports Class Nationals people) were glad when this storm was
over and everybody was accounted for! For a more detailed report, read
the day's report by the CM Richard Holzwarth - it says it all:

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...sFullDetail.as...

I landed just a few minutes before the G-2. While approaching the
airport from the east, I went through some pretty rough turbulence and
heavy rain. Others reported also strong turbulence.
Lessons learnt: 1. stay away from t-storms - they are no fun and can
seriously hurt you and your ship! 2. Drain your static system before
the next flight after flying through rain like this - having
completely whacky airspeed indications is no fun either.

Ulrich Neumann
Libelle H301 'GM'

thanks Ulrich. was hard to tell from the video. what with the
gliders just sitting by the runway not tied down it appeared to me
that the wind wasnt that bad. the G2's didnt appear to be getting
rocked around much which also didn't lead me to think it was that
gusty or turbulent. i suppose there was good sink associated with
rain. seemed he was high and fast. thank goodness he had a strong
glider, i dont think my Cherokee wouldve been able to take that kind
of a beating!