Old August 16th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default What to do if the canopy opens during flight ?

On Aug 16, 11:32 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
buttman wrote in news:09c6c89f-3978-48a9-805a-
:

On Aug 15, 4:40 pm, Superdoof wrote:

I've had a door open a few times during flight too, on a Cessna 152.
My instructor showed me how to close it in-flight.

You slow down to nearly stall speed, which means you can open the door
just wide enough to slam it well enough to close. Although it would be
safe to leave open.

What? You don't even need to do that. I have about 800 hours in a
C152, which means I've about 800 instances of the door popping open.

IOW you don't know how to secure the door in your airplane and you don't
know how to squawk an airplane to a mechanic.

:-)
The door opening on a C150-152 is no worry.
You have an 85 knot air stream that's going to hold it from opening
any further.
Aircraft with sliding canopies can be flown with the canopy ajar and
even fully open..