Old April 18th 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Favorite Aviation Films

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020 11:02:17 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 6:59:25 AM UTC-6, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 4/17/2020 4:28 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:45:57 -0700, sgs135c wrote:

Flight of the Phoenix was neat, especially as they actually built
and flew the aircraft - but a black spot is that Mantz was killed
doing so. The film wasn't worth that. Which reminds me, Scholl died
doing shots for Top Gun - jeezthis make-believe is dangerous!

I've seen the film and read the book. The book was better.

"Ditto" on the FotP book/film comparison. Has anyone ever seen a film
they considered better than the book from which it was derived? (Musta
been a really lousy book IMO, dry chuckle...)

---
https://www.avg.com

Catch 22, book and film both excellent.

I like the book a lot, but would cheerfully never see the film again.

"Memphis Belle", OTOH is a film I enjoyed.

Does "Chain Lightning", the Bogart B-movie, count as a gliding film?

He did glide her in to land at Idlewild after running out of fuel over
Boston enroute from Nome, Alaska to NYC via the North Pole, and at least
the opening shots were at RAF Bassingbourne, a WW2 B-17 base which I know
well - used to fly models there and its on my route from home to the
gliding club.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org