Old August 12th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default *HF* Tightbond III

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Oh, yeah. I was at HF today. Got a tool stand for $19 bucks. Once I add a
plywood top and some properly spaced mounting holes, it will be the
platform for my belt sander, drum sander, planer, or whatever tool
deserves to be bolted down for a while.

On a different thought than the subject of TB III, but the tool stand made
me think of it.

You know those types of chairs that have a whole bunch of scissor type
linkages, and ends up with a canvas type sling for the seat and back?

Well, I recently came across one of mine that had the canvas go to the bad
side. I just _couldn't_ throw it away, with all those neat linkages, so I
thought for a moment.

I am always looking for something to support things I am working on, and to
put tools on up off the ground, and somehow, something about that chair
frame told me there was a good use in there.

I got out the reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade in it, and folded
it up and down a couple times to figure out where to cut the back upright
supports off. When I had the answer, it got cut off.

What I ended up with is a square 3/4" plywood platform, with some holes
drilled in it at the corners, to go onto the frame uprights. The neat thing
is, that if you vary the size of the platform, and the vary distance from
hole to hole, you get a pretty small "sawhorse" when you fold it up. If
you drill more holes in the same platform closer together, you get a
platform with a taller platform height.

It is great for sitting tools on, or work on, and has a wide enough
footprint to be very stable.

I hope someone finds my "ahaaa moment" an idea that you can use. :-)
--
Jim in NC