Old October 28th 04, 03:53 AM
Jose

The published useful load of my PA28-235 was 1,400 lbs. I have read
reports, that 200 lbs of explosive is being used by car bombers in
Iraq with results of ~25 deaths. 7 X 25 = 175 if the aircraft is not
overloaded.

I doubt the math scales that way. First, the "useful load" includes pilot and fuel Although you probably don't need all that much fuel if you stage your attack from nearby. Second, the number of deaths is probably not strictly proportional to the
number of pounds of explosive. I don't know what the conditions of the Iraq car bomb targets are or how they compare to targets likely to be chosen here.

As for the 200 lb figure, accepted as true, I might reasonably ask =why= "only" 200 lbs were used. Perhaps the cost or difficulty of obtaining more? (more is better, no?). Given this, the ease of procuring and driving a car, vs. the comparitive
difficulty of procuring and flying an airplane, would lead me to belive that car bombs should be more common than light airplane bombs, and we should pay more attention to cars being loaded with explosives than we should light planes. It is
certainly possible to cause death and damage with planes, but I don't think it's all that cost effective to terrorists.

Actually, now all a terrorist has to do is run naked through airline security the wrong way (from the exit). The whole terminal is likely to be shut down while the security breach is fixed and passengers rescreened. Have 100 people do this in a
coordinated way and air travel will be so muddled up the country will suffer a far bigger economic hit than any car bomb would produce.

When your house is made of straw, a bigger padlock doesn't really increase security.

The TSA is not 'banning' aircraft nor airman. They are
bureaucratically executing the mandate handed to them by the current
administration. Unfortunately, they appear to not be educated enough
in the arcana to produce a meaningful product.

The TSA is successfully banning licensed aircraft and licensed airmen from flying safely near certain places and events. They are however not banning terrorists from doing the same thing. I'm beginning to wonder who the target is.

(from chris, AKA spam at spamtrap dot net)
In an exercise like this, its not a question of the size of the bang, but
what you bang. The terrorist is out to cause terror. He does not need to
make things go bang any more just threaten to make things go bang.

Well, bigger is better though if you are going to do it at all. We didn't really pay much attention until the Big Bang. And coordinated is really better.

Jose
--
for Email, make the obvious change in the address