Old April 22nd 20, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Time for Separate 18m Records?

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 9:19:06 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
OK - But moving past the diversion to a motor glider/sustainer discussion, it remains the case that the FAI and many countries hold a separate championship for 18 meter gliders. If the class deserves its own championship - why not it's own record category?
ROY

I've no problem with a separate 18m record class. If it is done due to a perceived disparity in performance, I'd assert that the difference between 15 and 18m is less than that between other differentiators (for example, glider age). Price classes would flatten that disparity, as it would in the 13.5m class.

I'll agree it is incongruous to have separate classes for contests but not for records.