Old August 18th 05, 03:07 PM
Greg Copeland

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:58:18 -0400, Peter R. wrote:

Greg Copeland wrote:

Is this common? How many run their tank(s) dry as part of their fuel
management strategy? If you don't run dry, why not? Aside from the
hea[r]t beat skipping which is sure to follow the first couple of
times, what's the down side to this strategy?

I would like to do this just one time for each of the two main tanks in
the Bonanza V35 I fly if for no other reason than to validate the actual
duration and total gallons. However, I have yet to take the time or
have the courage to do so.

As far as disadvantages, I am concerned about what might happen with the
sediment in these aging fuel bladders as the fuel empties. But, I
have read articles that dispel this myth so perhaps this is a non-issue.

Deakin's article specifically mentions this. I recommend you read the
article. He argues this is nothing to worry about and even
indirectly offers this is a reason to run your tanks dry.

Greg