Old March 9th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Public Financing (was: annual interruptus)

One point: You have no "account",

Yes I do, Jay, and for the times during the year when my teaching contract
has run out and I have absolutely no assurance that it will be renegotiated
for the coming semester (like during summer and winter breaks) I have an
account with a known number of dollars in it that is printed on the
unemployment forms that I get every semester. Right now it stands somewere
in the vicinity of $25 grand. That account is debited for every dollar I
draw from it, and when it goes to zero so does my unemployment check.

and there are far more people
sucking from the teat than are carressing it.

That would be caressing, but let's not suck the tits from nits. I don't get
your point.

Another point: Your employer has no choice but to pay into it -- they
cannot, by law, give it to you instead. But you know that.

SUUURRRRE THEY CAN. You have heard of the initiative and referendum
process, yes? Or is Iowa not yet on board with these 19th century
innovations for power to the people?

/rant mode on/

In Iowa, unemployment compensation is a blending of two easily-
corrupted groups

/rant^2 mode on/

Ya know, Jay, you seem to have this "poor helpless little me" syndrome that
just drives me buggy. The people on your city council, on your state
legislature, and on your state senate put their clothes on one piece at a
time, just like you and I. You think they were BORN to the office? A lot
of them are poor dirt farmers that had the intestinal fortitude (with a
capital G) to stand up and say, "to hell with this system." And then do
something about it.

You keep saying how much money is required to run for office. I agree; it
is one of the warts on our political system. However, if somebody runs, and
if their message rings true with enough of the local factions, the money
will flow. It is amazing ... just like sticking a pipe into a wall and
turning on the spigot and watching the water flow. But you have to resonate
with the people and organizations.

But ya gotta do it. And you need to dedicate the time to do it. Or let
Mary run. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

Hapless employers are forced to pay into this corrupt system, and have
virtually no input or control over where the money is spent. In our
10 years in business in Iowa, we have had precisely one (1) employee
claim unemployment compensation. The claim was completely bogus, I
was able to document it six ways to China, but, in the end, it didn't
matter -- the guy (then living in a beach house in Florida) was able
to get paid for six months of sitting on his butt.

And did you appeal it, as is your right (at least in Californicate) or did
you let that ****ant little "administrative law judge" at the first hearing
be the deciding judge? Those idiots are not really skilled in UI law; they
are picked from a group of attorneys who hope someday to land the plush job
of "real" judge.

Don't talk to me about EVER accepting government welfare money. The
waste and fraud in our government, from Federal to State to Local,
sickens me, and I would rather accept money from organized crime.

I'll talk to Bugsy, and if he okays the vigorish arrangement you can have as
much as you want. Just watch out for your kneecaps {;-)

/rant^2 mode off/

Jim

/rant mode off/
--