Old October 13th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_8_]

Default Midway museum - San Diego

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:39:10 -0500, mah wrote:

One new item was the Midway carrier museum. Where is it moored and what
has it to offer?

If you are going to be at the convention center, it is to your left as
you come out - towards the airport. About a mile, I would guess.
Basically right downtown. If you leave the airport on Harbor Drive
(going south, or left from the airport) it is about 2 miles, give or
take a bit.

There is also the ship (the "Rose" I believe) that was used in the
filming of "Master and Commander" you can tour. Pretty good tour - you
learn a lot about how the ship was modified and how things got done to
fool the camera.

On either side of the "Rose" is a ferry and a clipper both open for
tours. Worth the money all around.

Couple of excellent resturants there as well.

If you can get to Balboa Park (where the zoo is) there is also an
excellent aviation museum up there.

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B