Old August 27th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default En route altitudes and safety

buttman wrote in news:7a1a8551-4840-45e3-a452-
:

On Aug 27, 10:22*am, Frank Olson
wrote:
a wrote:
A recent thread reminded me it might be worth discussing an

personal
flying practice. * When en route, as a way of reducing the

likelihood
of a midair by about a binary order of magnitude (that's a factor

of
two for the non mathematically inclined) I *fly the nominal

altitude
less 100 feet VFR, or the assigned altitude less 50 feet IFR. The

idea
of course is if the unseen/unreported *converging traffic is at the
correct altitude or on the high side of it, we'd miss. I chose

lower
because I fly a low winged airplane, and of course I would agree

this
makes a very unlikely event only slightly less likely. On the other
hand, I don't see that I've significantly increased other in-flight
risks much by doing this, What (if anything) might I have

overlooked?
To the wiseguys, yes I in fact do hold altitude pretty closely when
flying.

Do any of you have similar odd real life habits you think enhance
safety?

I fly at the assigned altitude, period. *I put my trust in the
controllers and would hope that the PIC's sharing the airways with me
are just as trustworthy (and professional). *Someone that thinks
deviating from an assigned altitude by as much as 100 feet (plus or
minus) is "OK" should spend a few hours with an instructor that's

going
to rap your knuckles with a ruler when you try pulling something like
that in the name of "safety".

I many jets, it's nearly impossible to hold +/-100 feet for any
extended period of time without the autopilot.

Bull****.

Bertie