Old January 7th 13, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default USA 2013 Proposed Competition Rules Changes Available

With the expectation that you will be finishing at 700 ft, there should be no issues with landing safely on the airport.
Finish height is raised, in part, based upon pilot feedback at Perry that 500 ft is marginal in some situations.
UH

Just to expand and clarify what Hank is saying here... The guidance to
use a finish at least 700 feet also comes from the fact that you can
finish up to 200 feet low and still receive full speed points, with
only a 40 point penalty. So a 700 foot finish is "really" a 500 foot
finish, and CDs should think about the 200 foot buffer zone when
setting the finish height. 300 feet and a mile is pretty low at many
airports!

The rule says "at least." If 500 feet, one mile and 40 knots is a bit
squeaky at your airport, the CD can, and should, raise it further than
the suggested 700 feet.

As for landing at the airport after finish... If there is a 40 mph
crosswind, or a crash makes all runways unuseable, or something of the
sort, and the CD has not called a safety finish, do what's safe and
argue about it afterwards! So far, it has never happened, so we're a
bit arguing about angels on the head of a pin, though I'm sure we'll
revisit the issue.

John Cochrane