Old August 19th 05, 03:03 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 03:29:45 GMT, "Mediacom"
wrote:

Well, after lingering in these groups for a while and dreaming about the day
I could start flight lessons I think that day is finally here. I made a
trip out to the local FBO to figure out what exactly the next step is and
more specifically how I go about choosing a flight instructor. It turns out
that the experienced instructors all have pretty full schedules mainly
because of charter flights. There is at least one experienced CFI that
might have some openings. The manager of the FBO recommended that I talk to
a new CFI at the FBO. He is brand new. He just got his CFI a few months
ago and he is not instrument rated. I guess I am looking for any advice on
starting lessons with a "baby" CFI. Obvious concerns are 1. That he will be
hesitant to put his students up for a check ride because he will not want
them to fail. 2. I might miss out on the wisdom of a more experienced
pilot. 3. His lack of an instrument rating will make me miss out on some
wisdom in that area as well. Obviously I know that CFIs have to start with
a blank slate and I am not necessarily opposed to taking up lessons with
him. I'm just interested in any feedback.

Thanks!

Jeremy

As has already been said it depends on the instructor. Why not give it
a try and if you're not happy you can change?

It was not until I'd virtually completed my PPL I found out I was only
the third pupil my instructor had taught! What was most important was
the guy in charge was always on the back of the instructor to make
sure I was progressing as he expected.

I got my PPL in Florida in about a month and felt I'd been well
trained. Subsequent comments from instructors, back in the UK, have
made nice remarks about my flying.

On one occasions, a couple of yearsafter my PPL, when descending in a
large hole in the clouds, I lost the horizon. The engine RPM increased
whilst I was turning and descending and whilst I was VFR it was
effectively IMC. Immediately I remembered my instructor saying to
always believe the instruments. I reduced power, levelled the wings
and brougt it back to level flight very quickly. The rest of the turn
was done cautiously, checking the instruments and was soon back to
VFR. It was all over with 30 seconds but the training worked :-)

Good luck!