Old March 7th 04, 08:31 PM
Dave Butler

Bob Gardner wrote:
"Maintain 2200 until established, cleared for the ILS." Do you report
leaving 2200 when the glideslope comes down?

Nope, I don't. The glideslope coming down is not a "newly assigned altitude".

OK, I'm grasping at straws to justify my position. I guess (in my mind) the key
thing is that on a visual approach clearance or a discretion to [altitude]
clearance, the controller has no way of anticipating my actions. I can either
start down now, or whenever I feel like it. So (to me) it seems reasonable that
I might be required to report, and I read the AIM paragraph that way.

It still seems to me that the discretion-to-altitude case definitely requires a
report, but, OK, I'll give up on the visual approach since that is arguably not
a newly assigned altitude.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Bob Gardner

"Dave Butler" wrote in message

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:

Dave Butler wrote:

----------------
AIM 5-3-3. Additional Reports

a. The following reports should be made to ATC or FSS facilities
without a specific ATC request:

1. At all times.

(a) When vacating any previously assigned altitude or flight level for
a newly assigned altitude or flight level.
----------------

Richard, please explain why the citation above does not apply
(assuming the O.P.'s starting altitudes were "assigned").

The AIM doesn't say (for example) "...unless the altitude assignment
is superceded by a clearance for a visual approach".

It doesn't have to say that as it would be redundant. There is no way
to fly the visual approach clearance without descending! So, once you
are cleared for the visual, you are cleared to descend and turn as
required to execute the approach.

I'm not saying you can't descend when cleared for the visual (please read

what I

wrote). I'm saying if you're at-an-assigned-altitude and cleared for the

visual,

you have to report, since you're "vacating a previously assigned

altitude".

My phraseology would be "spamcan 33333 cleared for the visual approach",

then

when I (later) start the descent, "spamcan 33333 leaving 5000".

I'll concede that there is some ambiguity about whether the visual

approach is a

"newly assigned altitude". I guess you could also argue that in the above
example 5000 is no longer an assigned altitude. Is that what you are

saying? OK.

--
Dave Butler, software engineer 919-392-4367