Old September 9th 15, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring?

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 02:35:04 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

Masterton would be a possibility. Very nice large WW2 airfield (as was
Paraparaumu), and we use it for an away weekend most years (and
sometimes contests). But it runs the same future risk as Paraparaumu,
and is far too busy with warbirds, parachuting etc to be able to operate
a winch.

Around 1970 we (Wellington MAC) used to fly free flight model comps on
Hood Aerodrome about once a year, but I understand its got quite busy
since, so not going there isn't a surprise.

The best option appears to be joining a small existing club at Greytown.

Is that the club formerly known as Jury Hill? I see the web site now
calls itself Gliding Wairarapa. Being addicted to winching, if I'd moved
back to NZ I'd have considered pitching up somewhere near it. I know the
general area from flying models on Rayner's Farm, which is about 6km east
of Carterton and 9km from where the video was shot (not hard to find on
Google Earth.

It does look good, and well placed for Tararua wave, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p7i85rvMG8

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK