Old May 20th 20, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default 2020 Accidents & Insurance, usa

Some of the major contributing factors to the accident, incident and loss rates is a cultural problem that has its foundation in poor training, procedures and cockpit discipline. The SSF has been preaching and trying to effect change on these issues for a long time. A number of clubs/operators and instructors have been trying to make some headway on these issues. It’s frustrating as a lot of the problems are just the same now as they were years ago, there is no “new” way to crash a glider/towplane.

Overall I’ve seen a number of pilots trying to do the right thing, displaying a great attitude towards continuous quality improvements, studying, reading, training, seeking instruction and working on their weak areas.

I’ve also seen and heard a number of pilots displaying hazardous attitudes, tremendous macho egos, lack of awareness, poor skills, complacency and inability to listen or understand the implications of not operating safely. This group is very hard to change as this they tend to not listen, learn or even understand. I’ve heard the term “safety nazis” when referring to pilots/instructors or operations that simply are trying to do the right things.

Small sport, getting smaller all the time. Small insurance pool, getting smaller all the time. Insurance claims getting larger all the time. Self insure because one states “I just won’t crash” hasn’t worked out for several pilots I know.

The reality is there is a cancer in the sport, it might be too late to save it but that damn sure doesn’t mean I will quit trying. It’s incumbent on us as pilots, operators and instructors to hold the line, to be willing take steps to educate, train, role model and lead the sport on a better path.

With rights and privileges go responsibility.

Regards, Tom