Old May 5th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Scared of mid-airs

However, during the past 3 years or so, I've constantly been overly alert
towards the possibility of hitting something in the sky.

We all treat risk differently, and many of us have little foibles and
phobias. I've found that we also go through "phases" where different
things bother us differently.

I've gone through times when the risk of flying was more worrisome than
others. Nothing specific, like you're going through, but more of a
generalized concern (not quite "fear") about flying in general. When
this happened I found myself hyper-alert, gripping the yoke a bit too
hard, and, in general, not enjoying myself much.

That phase passed -- and came back, and passed again -- over time.
I've not found a correlation between anything in my life or flying to
match up with this hyper-alertness, but it's annoying. However, it may
even be healthy.

Mary is going through a phase right now where turbulence really bothers
her. When we're getting bounced around, especially on climb-out, she's
white-knuckled all the way, and trying to get her to relax only
aggravates the situation.

She *knows* we're not going to fall out of the sky -- just like you
*know* you're not about to hit anyone -- but that doesn't matter much.
Unfortunately, things like this don't always follow logic. You just
have to work your way through them.

And you will.
--
Jay Honeck