Old October 3rd 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

On Oct 3, 1:33 pm, wrote:
On Oct 3, 10:56 am, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

On Oct 3, 10:34 am, wrote:

Both Newton and Bernoulli are correct. Even inside a pipe the
static pressure drops as velocity increases. That's why your bottom
table jumps as you yank off the top one: you accelerated an airflow.
And in generating lift there's a displacement of air. Can't escape
that at all.

Also, if you don't mind, I would like to understand what you mean
here.

It's not clear to me.

[explanation of Bernoulli's principle clipped].

I did not mean that I did not understand Bernoulli's principle.

What I am saying is that I do not believe that the bottom table jumps
because of airflow acceleration. In fact, if I were to use tables
with circular faces, and put the entire apparatus in a giant
cylindrical tube, and pull up on the top table, assuming that the very
bottom of the tube were open-ended, the bottom table would follow the
top table upward, no matter how fast any air inside the tube were
moving. I could move the top table one molecular diameter every
10,000,000 years, and after the top table has moved, say, 0.5 meters,
the bottom table will follow. This assumes, of course, that the
appartus is airtight, that no air from outside the tube can squeeze in
between the walls of table and tube to fill the void that was created.

There are 14.7 lbs per square inch of pressure pressing upward against
the underside of the bottom table. The yanking of the top table
creates a vacuum between the two faces of the table. The lack of
pressure on the top of the bottom table leaves nothing to counteract
the pressure pressing upward on the underside of the bottom table.
Then the only thing holding the bottom table on the floor is gravity.
Assuming that the table is a typical table of typical weight and size,
one is guranteed that the impulse net pressure of 14.7lbs / in^2 is
enough to overcome gravity and lift the bottom table off the floor.

Note that this really has nothing to do with Bernoulli's principle or
dynamic pressures.

If it is still not clear, put the assembly in a tube again, anchor the
bottom table with a tie wire so it cannot move upward, and using a
hydraulic jack, pull the top table upward, then stop, wait a minute,
have a Coke (sipping with a straw of course), then take cutters and
snap the wire holding the bottom table to the floor.

At the precise moment that the wire is snapped, there is no movement
of anthing at all. There is no Bernoulli action.

The bottom table will rush up toward the top table, even slamming
against it quite hard if the coefficient of sliding friction between
table-side and tube wall is low enough.

-Le Chaud Lapin-