Old November 26th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Beginner, Parachutes?

On Nov 26, 6:54*am, Andreas Maurer wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:40:31 -0800 (PST), Frank Whiteley

wrote:
A German study once concluded that
survival in an incident requiring parachute use below 600m agl was
very low. *That said, some emergency chutes are very effective at low
altitudes with good horizontal speed.

Nevertheless, I know four people who bailed out successfully - one at
6.000 ft, two at 600 ft (midair collision), one at 400 ft
(non-connected elavtor during winch launch).

Bye
Andreas

I know one who died because he didn't get his chute repacked regularly
thus missing an AD on the D-ring attachment. When he needed the
chute, it didn't work.

Frank