Old April 19th 21, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/17/2021 4:19 PM, waremark wrote:
On Saturday, 17 April 2021 at 12:53:45 UTC+1, wrote:
Fitch congratulations on being one of us old guys, my apologies are in order. I had completely mistaken you for one of the new MG generation glider pilots. Old Bob

Where I fly the new generation generally cannot afford motor gliders. I may have commented earlier that some of the folk flying motorgliders nowadays are the same folk who were rude about motorgliders 20 years ago.

I began flying motorglider about 25 years ago. Back then, unpowered
pilots would ask me "did you have to use the motor?" when sitting around
after flying, drinking a beer. Now, the question is "where did you go?".
Attitudes have changed lot since then, with motorgliders now accepted as
much as unpowered gliders, but unfortunately too expensive for many pilots.
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Eric, not quiet as well accepted as you might think, go ahead and toot your own horn, but the purist are the real glider pilots. Old Bob