Old December 1st 19, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Put your money where the risk is

On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 10:30:21 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Tom,
It’s semantics my friend. “Luck (by definition) is good or bad fortune brought about by chance and not by ones own actions”.. So one cannot “make ones own luck”. I get what you’re saying and, of course, agree that good airmanship and good judgment increase safety absolutely.
Dale

Well, that may be your definition, but it isn't mine. Luck will often be affected by your actions; your "luck" of a glider accident will be markedly improved if you don't fly at all. Your "luck" of landing out will be markedly improved if you only fly locally. Your "luck" of a mid-air will be markedly improved if you fly alone, and markedly reduced if you fly in contests. So I don't buy the theory that luck is not affected by "one's own actions." Luck only means that the outcome of a particular event can only be described with a probability function, not that you have no control over that function.

Again, you are over-thinking this - it's pretty basic: do more smart things and fewer dumb things to stay safe.

Tom