Old July 1st 03, 04:47 PM
Jim Weir

bonomi@c-ns. (Robert Bonomi)

-
-I got my initial commercial 1st class broadcast engineer license in 1970.
-I've got a fair library on the bookshelves.

If you want to play old-fart one-upmanship, my 1st phone was in 1959 on my 16th
birthday. I believe that 16 was the limit back in 'dem golden oldie days. I
did third, second, and first all in one sitting. That, of course, was to
supplement my ham ticket which I had obtained in '57.

And I'm not about to play "mine is bigger than yours" only to state that I've
got a few books on my shelves, too. Two of which I haven't even colored yet
{;-)

Nor am I about to go on and on about a simple question since the resolution is
that even shorted, this device isn't going to fail catastrophically.

In practice, a shorted electrolytic (save physical "mash" damage) is about as
rare as a shorted resistor. RST's gone through, what, half a million of them in
30 years without a shorted one yet. A couple of dozen opens, but no shorts.
That seems to be the industry trend.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com