Old January 13th 17, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Woodstock Glider

I have one of the earliest set of plans; the airfoil sheet is a full size template that you glue (contact cement)to a piece of 3/4" plywood. Each rib has its own profile printed inside the previous one as it tapers toward the tip. From this template you trace and sand the root rib first then sand the template to the next line and trace the next rib and so on. You keep sanding and tracing all the way out to the tip rib profile. THERE ASRE NO COORDINATES given or in anyway documented for any of the rib profiles. I recall a conversation I had with Jim in the late 1980's, I remember him telling me that when it came to the airfoil development, he said that Irv said "let me run the numbers". He came up with this design/method and Jim did as above to build the prototype.

The only parts I ever made for the airplane are the root ribs and the template itself. The original prints including the full size rib template drawing are the old style diazo prints and not accurately copyable; further, my print is used up to make the template. I suppose I could resurrect my project and make all the ribs, digitizing as I go. I estimate I could do this with an accuracy of approximately .05" which should be good enough for an airfoil working at these reynold's numbers as long as everything is "nice and smooth", as professor Alex Strojnik once told me; (see Low Power Laminar Aircraft Design/Structures/Technologies) Recognize that this will be quite time consuming. If anyone wants to seriously pursue this, contact me @ bpkuenen(at)gmail; I don't read these threads often